To be eligible for funding, users must meet the following criteria.
- Users are travelling from
- Interstate (Australia)
- New Zealand
- Country Victoria (Eligible for Accommodation only)
Users have been awarded beamtime at the facility based on one of the following proposal types
- MX Rapid Access
- MX CAP (please proceed to the MX beamtime page for instructions)
- Preferred access
Only bookings made prior to the start of beamtime will be funded by the AS. Any alterations upon arrival will incur the standard nightly rate.
How to apply
To apply you must create and begin your Experimental Authorisation prior to submitting your Accommodation Application. Users applying for domestic travel funding and/or accommodation must do so via the Australian Synchrotron User Portal.
Australian Synchrotron User Portal
Australian Synchrotron Guesthouse
New Zealand researchers
Please proceed to the New Zealand Synchrotron Group website. Accommodation applications should be submitted via the 'Travel Funding & Accom' tab of your Experiment Authorisation (EA).
Country Victorian researchers
Can apply for accommodation via Portal; more specifically the 'Travel Funding & Accomm' tab located within your Experiment Authorisation (EA).
International researchers are not eligible for funded accommodation. To view a list of current rates at the guesthouse, please proceed to the Synchrotron guesthouse page.
Are not eligible for complimentary AS funded travel or accommodation, however may still request accommodation at the guesthouse and will be charged the nightly affiliated rate.
To view a list of current rates at the guesthouse, please proceed to the Synchrotron guesthouse page.
Can apply for travel funding via Portal; more specifically the 'Travel Funding & Accomm' tab located within your Experiment Authorisation (EA).
Tips for a successful travel funding allocation
- Please submit your funding and/or accommodation application a recommended minimum of 4 weeks prior to travel
- Funding cannot be split amongst different institutions; only one application can be approved per beamtime allocation; funding will be reimbursed to the applicant's organisation only
- The applicant must be
- one individual only
- either on the proposal or attending the beamtime
- employed by an interstate-based organisation
- Persons included on the application must reside interstate and not exceed three in total
- If any persons are travelling interstate by car or train, please indicate this on the application for each person
- Accommodation should not exceed funded limits.
- Guesthouse check-in is available from 2.00pm daily with check-out required by 10.00am. Please take this into account when preparing your funding application. We recommend requesting additional nights should users require access to accommodation for longer periods. In some cases additional nights may attract fees.
If your application is approved, the User Office will be issue a funding approval letter which outlines the total maximum funding for the visit. Users will need to book their own travel and preference must be shown for the most economical means of transport. We ask users to organise travel in advance to qualify for cheaper fares and, where possible, for users to travel together.
Funding is designed to cover the majority of flight costs and Melbourne-based ground transportation costs only. Funding is calculated based on the amounts in the funding table below and capped at a maximum of three people per proposal.
Important: The travel funding allowance stated on your funding approval letter is GST inclusive.
|Departure City||Per Person||Departure City||Per Person|
|Cairns / Townsville||$700||Palmerston North||$900|
|Ground transport (in Melbourne only)||$220 per scheduled experiment|
Contact the User Office
Contact the Melbourne User Office
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm